Saturday, April 4, 2009

Consignment Shopping

I went to a consignment store today and tried on clothes that I would never have picked out in a traditional department store. There was something easy about picking up something that I figured was too sizes too small for me and slipping it on in a consignment store that I don't typically find in your name brand chains--The Gap, American Eagle, Talbot's, etc. However, because this store (located in the middle of a college town) had many of those brands on consignment, it gave me the opportunity to try on things without the experience (real of not) of being gawked at by anorexic teenagers.

Guess what? Gap pants aren't as intimidating as I thought they were! In fact I bought my first pair. I must admit that they are a tiny bit snug in the hips, but I bought them that way on purpose. AND they were only $12! They are, in effect, a quick and inexpensive way to get leverage on myself. That is, every time I put them on, I'll remember to pay closer attention to what I put in my mouth. They are also my new markers of success, so I can be less tied to the scale.

As I was striking up a conversation with the owner, she also mentioned that she was taking spring and summer consignments; did I want a consignment agreement? I hesitated and then thought about it. Yes. Yes, I do want a consignment agreement.

Another point of leverage: get rid of the two largest sizes in my closet. This seems like a total win-win. I may make some money. I won't have any open invitations to gain weight lurking in the dark corners of my closet. And even if they don't sell, she'll take them to the same community center that I would have done, saving me not only the trip, but also the hassle.

Anyway you look at it, consignment stores are ideal for people who are changing sizes and also styles. When I go to a more conventional store, I tend to stick with what I know (if I go at all). In consignment stores, there are a plethora of styles from which to chose. There also is a conspicuous absence of fluorescent lights and overly helpful sales people who have only seen cellulite in pictures.

For example, I tried on a Chinese-style orange dress with pink embroidered dragon flies. It was fitted and very sleek. I loved it. I loved the way I looked in it. I would never have tried that dress on anywhere else. (I probably never would have found that dress anywhere else, but that's not the point!) Although I felt like a queen while wearing it, I left it there. But maybe next time I a see a long fitted dress I won't automatically scoff, "That would look terrible on me" or, even worse, "That's just not me."

2 comments:

  1. Wearing tight pants can be a great way to keep you eating a little less during the day. Tight tights work well, too! Spanx under trousers have the excellent double effect of giving you a smooth line and also keeping you from ordering the large burrito at lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip! And it's good to know that I'm not the only one that thinks like this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete